On January 25, 2013, Health and Human Services (HHS), the federal agency in charge of implementing the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) issued regulations modifying the HIPAA Privacy and Security enforcement rules. These regulations finalized the amendments to HIPAA that were made by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act), modifying the HITECH Act’s interim-breach notification rules and modifying the HIPAA Privacy Rules to implement the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA).
The final rules went into effect on March 26, 2013; covered entities and business associates must comply with the final rule by September 23, 2013. For those who have not met the September 23rd deadline, VistaNational has purchased a compliance package for your Employer Group Health Plan; click here to view the HIPAA Privacy Forms Package – Updated 10/02/13 (DOCX). This package includes:
• An Explanation of HIPAA Privacy Rules,
• A Summary of New HIPAA Regulations,
• A HIPAA Use and Disclosure Form,
• A Notice of Privacy Practices,
• A Business Associates Agreement,
• An Authorization for Release of Information,
• A HIPAA Security Standards Checklist,
• A Plan Sponsor Certification Form,
• A HIPAA Privacy Compliance Checklist,
• A Plan Amendment for Privacy Practices,
• A Summary of Material Modifications to amend the Employer’s SPD,
• A HIPAA Training Acknowledgment,
• A Request for Alternative Communications,
• A Request for an Accounting or Disclosure of Protected Health Information,
• A Request to Amend or Correct Protected Health Information, and
• A Request to Inspect or Copy Protected Health Information
Please know you should have already been contacted by us to sign a revised Business Associate Agreement. If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to send that signed agreement to one of your VistaNational team members as soon as possible.
For more information/guidance on the HIPAA Privacy Forms Package, please download the presentation Complying with HIPAA Privacy Rules (PPTX).